Thursday, January 24, 2008

Off-Topic: The Fixx

In the '80s, I loved The Fixx. I haven't kept up with them as I should have, and they've release scads of albums that I haven't heard a lick of. For whatever reason, I was thinking of them this morning and went looking for online resources. In addition to the already-linked Fixx website, there is the obligatory Myspace page, currently featuring new versions of their biggest old hits. There is also a Wikipedia entry, as well as a fan forum. There are also a couple of individual fan sites.

There are only a few bands/artists that I've had a deep interest in but, without fail, for those bands/artists, I find that the big hits are less satisfying than other aspects of their work. Specific to The Fixx, almost everyone who loves '80s music remembers "One Thing Leads to Another," "Red Skies at Night," and "Saved by Zero," all from the Reach The Beach album, and "Stand or Fall" and "Red Skies" from the Shuttered Room album. For me, the best album was Phantoms which, if I recall correctly, was disappointing from a sales perspective but for me was eminently more enjoyable than either of the first two albums.

Just checked their website and at this point there are no plans to tour at this time. Too bad -- I'm in need of a Fixx.

No comments: