Friday, March 21, 2008

Blast from the Past: Urban Guerrillas

On the Minneapolis Issues Forum, Dean Carlson posted about a local band that he used to listen to in the mid-1980s -- Urban Guerrillas. I also witnessed some of that band's complete debauchery, with its lead singer, Larry Sahagian, regularly outdrinking most of his audience and preferring to sing table-top rather than on stage. Other stories about UGs included that they were the musical act at Highland Park High School's winter dance circa 1982 and were asked to leave mid-show due to some bad behavior.

Apparently Dean and his friend, Timmy the Freak, are trying to collect remembrances of UGs as well as any mp3s that may be out there (which would've had to have been transferred from vinyl). They've started a Myspace page (of course) for fans of UGs. So if anyone has word of what's up with the former members of UGs or any fond remembrances, get in contact via the Myspace page. There's also a post on Dean's (?) blog with some great comments about the band.

Shimmy shimmy coco-pop, y'all.

4 comments:

Sheskatesalot said...

OMG I LOVED this band! I went to CSB in St. Joseph, MN and they performed their regularly in the mid 80s. I miss them so much! I wish I saved their albums.... BLISS baby!!!!!!!!!!! The best song ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

Wow...i went to CSB mid to late 80's myself...i just heard on slacker.com "The Suburbs"--so i emailed my former roomies to chat...then UG clicked in my head...wow. i honestly cannot remember specifics as it was St. Joe & St. Joe is best remembered fuzzy...but i remember partying w them...a few times...crazy

Unknown said...

I worked at 1st/7th street entry , spent a lot of time with Larry (miss him) and his gang. Wild times. I think I still have a T-shirt tie-dyed and hand painted .
I Miss Paul westerburg and his ‘replacements’
It WAS a hootenanny . Wouldn’t want to repeat it, not regretting experiencing it,

Unknown said...

Larry's still alive & well and running the Driftwood Char Bar on Nicollet, the best juke joint in the midwest.