Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Oak Street Cinema's Days are Numbered

Strib reports that the Oak Street Cinema will likely be torn down after the MSP International Film Festival ends in early May. The Film Festival's website is still under construction for the 2008 Festival. While I'm sorry to see it go, I can't say that I spent a lot of time there in the last few years. With the Riverview Theater (note the snazzy new website design), the Parkway (now owned by Pepito's owner Joe Senkyr Minjares) and others making a go of it on a shoestring, I'm not sure why Oak Street has been mired in trouble for so long. There were a flurry of articles in early 2006 about Oak Street's troubles, then not much new news. Now, it looks like it could be the end.

2 comments:

Erica M said...

From what I keep hearing, the short answer is that the Oak Street's owner is a dick and doesn't give two shits about the theater.

fkaJames said...

Too bad if that's true. On the other hand, if I had a piece of property that could bring in as much money as that particular site will probably bring from student housing developers, I'd probably dump the theater, too. But it is totally sad to see another small indie theater fall by the wayside.

Just glad we have the Riverview and the totally revitalized Parkway, which I'll be posting about later today.